Skip to Content

Office of the New York State Comptroller’s Seal

NYS Comptroller

Thomas P. DiNapoli

Regional State Park Police Plan

For Tier 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6 Members

(Section 383-a)

Ordinary Disability

This benefit is available to you only if you joined the Police and Fire Retirement System before September 1, 1997. For those who last joined on or after September 1, 1997 only the performance of duty and the regional state park police disability benefits are available.


If you are unable to perform your duties because of permanent physical or mental incapacity and have ten or more years of service credit, you may be eligible for an ordinary disability retirement benefit.

The Benefit

If approved, this is a benefit equal to the greater of:

  • 1/60th (1.66 percent) of your FAS for each year of credited service; or
  • 1/60th (1.66 percent) of your FAS for each year of credited service, plus 1/60th of your FAS for each year of service you might have earned before attaining age 60, but not more than one-third of your FAS.

The benefit would also include an annuity based on any annuity savings contributions you have made.

If you are age 60 or older at the effective date of your disability retirement, your ordinary disability benefit would be equal to the benefit that would be payable to you as a service retirement.

You must select an option for the payment of your disability benefits.


You, your employer or someone authorized with your power of attorney Adobe pdf may file your application for ordinary disability retirement benefits. If you are eligible, applications for ordinary disability, accidental disability, performance of duty disability and regular service retirement benefits may be submitted simultaneously. However, your application for ordinary disability retirement must be filed with the Retirement System while you are in service or within 90 days from the date you:

  • Are last paid on the payroll;
  • Are last on an authorized medical leave of absence for up to two years (which may be extended for an additional two years); or
  • Last receive Workers’ Compensation or other similar employer-funded benefits, as long as you have not resigned or been terminated from employment while receiving those benefits.