Skip to Content

Office of the New York State Comptroller’s Seal

NYS Comptroller

Thomas P. DiNapoli

State Police Plan

For PFRS Tier 2, 5 and 6 Members

(Section 381-b)

Applying for Previous or Military Service Credit

To apply, submit a Request to Purchase Service Credit (Including any Military Service) (RS 5042) form to NYSLRS before your date of retirement. You can also submit an email or a letter. Include all the details you can about the period of employment for which you are seeking credit. We will determine your eligibility and inform you of any cost.

For military service requests, attach/include a copy of your Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD-214). (It must show that you were honorably discharged.)

To establish eligibility for a vested retirement benefit, you must request your credit while on the payroll of a participating employer. If you make your request, but receive your statement of cost after you leave payroll, you have 30 days to make your payment.

Service From a Previous Membership

If you previously were a member of this System, or another public retirement system in New York State, your service may be recredited and your date of membership and tier restored. However, an earlier tier of membership does not always result in a better benefit. Please review your options carefully before making your decision, and contact us with any questions you may have.

You can apply for reinstatement to Tier 1 or 2, or to an earlier membership date within Tier 2. Send us a completed Application to Reinstate a Former Tier 1 or 2 Membership (RS5506) PDF icon.

We will initiate your reinstatement to Tier 5, or to an earlier date within Tier 6, by sending you details about your eligibility and the cost to purchase credit for your withdrawn service.

If your previous membership was with another retirement system, please write to our Member and Employer Services Bureau.