New York City Department of Consumer Affairs

Licensing of Mobile Food Vendors

Vendors in New York City who sell food from vehicles, pushcarts, stands or other mobile units must be licensed by the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. In addition, a separate permit must be obtained for each mobile unit used by the vendor. Applications for these licenses and permits are processed by the New York City Department of Consumer Affairs. We examined the Departmentís processing of these applications and found that certain aspects of the process were not always adequately documented. As a result, licenses and permits may be issued to individuals who are not authorized to act as mobile food vendors or have not paid certain business taxes or fines for vending violations. We recommended that controls be improved so that licenses and permits cannot be issued unless it is documented that all requirements have been met.

For a complete copy of Report 2003-N-10 click here.