Agencies should take the following actions for employees who meet the transfer eligibility criteria and for whom they have received a letter from the NYSLRS Member and Employer Service Bureau notifying them of the employee’s transfer from ERS to PAF:
Terminate Plan Type 7Y – Employee’s Retirement System
Plan Type 7Y must be terminated before adding Plan Type 7W. Navigate to Main Menu>Benefits>Enroll In Benefits>Retirement Plans
- Insert a Row on Coverage.
- Deduction Begin Date should be the first day of the current pay period.
- Select the “Terminate” radio button.
- Election Date should be carried forward from the previous screen but must be manually entered.
Add Plan Type 7W – Police & Firemen’s Rtrmnt
- Insert a row on Plan Type.
- Select Plan Type 7W – Police & Firemen’s Rtrmnt
- Deduction Begin Date should be the second day of the current pay period.
- Select the Elect radio button.
- Election Date should be the Date of Membership provided on the NYSLRS transfer letter.
- Benefit Plan will vary based on Tier status.
- Employees that have a Contribution Status of Contributing will have a “Benefit Plan” set to PAFAT3, PAFAT5, or PAFAT6 based on tier indicated on the NYSLRS transfer letter.
- If the NYSLRS transfer letter indicates the employee is non-contributory, Benefit Plan should be PAFAFT.
- Reg Nbr is the Registration Number indicated on the NYSLRS transfer letter.
- Tier should be the Tier provided on the NYSLRS transfer letter.
- Option Code:
SEO – Standard Election Option
SNC – Standard No Calculation Option
- Percentage is the Contribution Rate indicated on the NYSLRS transfer letter. If the Contribution Rate indicated on the ERS transfer letter is 6.01, the employee is non-contributing and the Contribution Rate field can be left blank.
- A general comment should be added for employees that have decided to transfer membership from ERS to PAF stating “Transfer from ERS to PAF per Chapter 561 of the Laws of 2015”.
Retirement Deduction Codes – Agencies must end ERS deductions and begin PAF deductions, Navigate to Main Menu>Payroll for North America>Employee Pay Data USA>Deductions>Create General Deductions.
If the employee has any of the following ERS deduction codes, end date the deduction code using the first day of the current pay period:
608 ERS Arrears Before Tax
609 ERS Arrears After Tax
Insert a row to begin the corresponding PAF deduction code(s) that were end dated for ERS using the second day of the current pay period:
618 PAF Arrears Before Tax
619 PAF Arrears After Tax
If the employee has deduction code 610 ERS Loans, the agency should end date the loan using the first day of the current pay period.
Deduction code 620 PAF Loan deductions should not be started until the agency receives a letter from NYSLRS instructing them to do so.