Date: November 23, 2004 Bulletin Number: SP- 80

Fitness Bonus Payment for Fiscal Year 2004-2005

To notify the Division of State Police of the procedures for processing Fitness Bonus Payments.
Affected Employees
Troopers in Bargaining Unit 07, Commissioned/Non-Commissioned Officers in Bargaining Unit 17 and Investigators and Senior Investigators in Bargaining Unit 62.
Effective Date(s)
Payments may be submitted in Pay Period 18 Lag/19 Current for checks dated 12/15/04.
Chapters 8, 9 and 10 of the Laws of 2001 provide for an annual Fitness Bonus Payment.

The payment for Fiscal Year 2004-2005 will be based on the bargaining unit to which a member was assigned on the date of participation in the physical fitness test.

The maximum bonus payment is $913.28.

Employees who return from Military Leave or other approved leave and pass the 2004-2005 fitness test may be entitled to Fitness Bonus Payments for 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2003. Refer to Payroll Bulletin No. SP-48, issued December 10, 2001 for instructions on entering the earnings for prior years.

Agency Actions

To pay eligible employees for the 2003-2004 payment, use the following Earnings Code:

Earnings Code: FTA
Effective Date: 3/25/04
O.T. Effective: 3/25/04
Earnings: Amount of Bonus
Earn End Date: 3/23/05
Goal Balance: Leave Blank

For employees who are no longer in an eligible bargaining unit, the Earn End Date should be the last date the employee was eligible for the earnings to be included in the overtime calculation.

If the employee goes into an ineligible bargaining unit after the payment is made, the agency must insert a row to end the overtime eligibility by entering the following in the Additional Pay page:

Earnings Code: FTA
Effective Date Enter last day eligible
O.T. Effective: 3/25/04
Earn End Date: Enter last day in eligible bargaining unit
Goal Balance: Enter Bonus Paid


Payroll Register and Employee Paycheck/Advice
The Earnings Code FTA and the amount will be displayed on the payroll register. The earnings description, “Fitness Bonus,” will be displayed on the employee’s pay stub or advice.

Payroll related questions may be directed to your OSC Payroll Auditor.