||2017 SEFA (State Employees Federated Appeal) Campaign
||To provide instructions for processing payroll deductions for the SEFA Campaign for the 2017 calendar year.
||Payroll deductions for the 2017 SEFA Campaign will begin:
Institution paychecks dated January 5, 2017
Administration paychecks dated January 11, 2017.
|SEFA Campaign Guidelines
||The pre-printed Federated Fund Number which appears on the authorization card must be used as the Deduction Code. Cards that have been modified must be returned to the employee for completion of a new card.
The amount of deduction requested on the authorization card is the amount to be deducted from each paycheck in the calendar year, not the total amount of the pledge.
State agencies cannot accept cash for the SEFA Campaigns. Checks made out to SEFA will be accepted.
||Online enrollment can be utilized for employees wishing to donate to the following deduction codes:
Deduction Code 850 – SEFA of the Capital Region
Deduction Code 856 – SEFA of Broome, Chenango & Tioga
Deduction Code 861 – SEFA or Dutchess County
Deduction Code 865 – SEFA of Long Island
Deduction Code 866 – SEFA of Greater Rochester
Deduction Code 880 – SEFA of Sullivan/Ulster County
Deduction Code 882 – SEFA of Orange County
Deduction Code 885 – SEFA of Chautauqua County
Deduction Code 887 – SEFA of Central NY
Deduction Code 851 – SEFA of NYC (https://www.giveattheoffice.org/_nycsefa/)
Employees are encouraged to initiate the deduction with the online enrollment process.
For employees without computer access, or who choose not to use the online enrollment process, paper forms are available at the agency payroll office. Online enrollment will need to be completed by December 16, 2016 to ensure it will be entered for the first pay check of 2017.
|The following instructions apply to agencies that are not currently customers of the NYS Business Services Center (BSC). For those agencies that are customers of the BSC, the BSC will provide you with specific instructions on the agency and BSC responsibilities for processing the SEFA pledge cards.
For employees not enrolling online:
- Agencies must review the completed authorization card and verify the completeness, accuracy and legibility of the Federated Fund Number, Amount of Deduction, Employee’s Agency Code, Employee’s NYS Emplid and Name.
- Agencies are required to enter 2017 Federated Fund (SEFA) transactions into PayServ on the General Deduction Data (Agency) page, using the following instructions:
- After logging into PayServ, access the General Deduction Data (Agency) page.
- Enter the NYS Emplid from the authorization card in the EmplID field of the dialog box and click Search.
- The employee’s General Deduction page appears. Select View All.
- Determine whether the employee already has a deduction record for the specific Federated Fund Number on the authorization card by scrolling through the Deduction Codes using the scroll bar.
Deduction Code - Enter the Deduction Code (Federated Fund Code) indicated on the SEFA authorization card.
- If a record with the same Federated Fund (SEFA) Deduction Code exists, select the + sign to add a new row in the Deduction Details page, insert a row and continue with Step 6.
- If there is not an existing row for the Federated Fund (SEFA) Deduction Code, select the + sign to add a new row in the General Deduction page, insert a row and continue with Step 5.
Effective Date - Enter the effective date for the 2017 deduction to begin as follows:
- Deduction Calculation Routine – Select Flat Amount from the drop down box.
- Deduction End Date – An end date must be entered. Effective in the first paycheck of 2017, OSC will end date all SEFA deductions with no end date or an end date that is not valid. Therefore, it is imperative that agencies use the end dates listed below.
For Administration employees, the following end dates must be entered:
For Institution employees, the following end dates must be entered:
The Goal Amount field should not be used when entering SEFA transactions (see Exception below).
- Flat/Addl. Amount – Enter the amount to be deducted from each biweekly paycheck, not the total amount to be deducted for the campaign.
- Save the transaction.
If an employee has a Goal Amount/Goal Balance in the existing record and the agency enters a transaction for 2017, the Goal Amount and Goal Balance will roll up on the newly inserted row unless the Goal Amount and Goal Balance are equal. Agencies must delete the Goal Amount and Goal Balance on the 2017 row and then save the transaction.
If a participant chooses to elect other than the full year (26 pay periods), the agency must enter the total amount of the annual contribution in the Goal Amount field as well as the flat amount to be deducted biweekly. The appropriate effective and end dates must still be used as outlined above.
|Federated Fund (SEFA) Codes
||The Federated Fund (SEFA) Code Listing is available in numeric and alphabetic order.
Please note there are three new participants in online enrollment: Deduction Code 850 – SEFA of the Capital Region, Deduction Code 861 – SEFA of Dutchess County, and Deduction Code 882 – SEFA of Orange County. There are no deduction code changes this year.
||Employees who want to change a Federated Fund (SEFA) deduction may do so by completing a new authorization card. A payroll general deduction transaction should then be processed to change the deduction.
||OSC automatically continues Federated Fund (SEFA) deductions upon an employee’s transfer from one agency to another within the same payroll record. When an employee transfers, it is necessary to obtain a new authorization card only if the employee wants to contribute to a different Federated Fund (SEFA) organization in the new agency.
||To cancel a Federated Fund (SEFA) deduction, the agency must insert a new row using the beginning date of the pay period in which the deduction should be canceled as the effective and deduction end dates. Cancellation notices must be retained by the agency.
||OSC will end date all SEFA deductions that currently have no end date or an end date that is not valid effective the first paycheck of the calendar year.
OSC will process the electronic files received from the vendors to add a row to the employee’s general deduction record. An error report of transactions not processed will be sent to the vendor.
||Questions concerning the online enrollment process for SEFA Deductions, may be directed to the Statewide SEFA Council at (518)-782-SEFA (7332) or http://www.sefanys.org/contact-us.
Questions concerning the online enrollment process for Deduction Code 851 – SEFA of NYC should be directed to Sheila O’Connor of EarthShare at (516) 330-9467 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions regarding this bulletin may be directed to the Payroll Deduction mailbox.