Benefit Information for Tier 6 Members
About Your Membership
If you joined the New York State and Local Retirement System on or after April 1, 2012, you are in Tier 6.
Your tier determines:
- Your eligibility for service or disability retirement benefits;
- The formula used to calculate your benefits;
- Death benefit coverage;
- How your public service is credited;
- Whether you must contribute toward your benefits; and
- Eligibility for loans from the Retirement System.
Your Retirement System membership provides benefits that are an important part of a financially secure future. This summary gives you a brief overview of those benefits, including retirement, disability and death benefits. Please check our website frequently, as we will add more detailed information about your benefits during the next few months.