Audits of Local Governments and School Districts
Village of Monticello – Board Oversight (2016M-337)
Released: February 3, 2017 -- [read complete report - pdf]
Purpose of Audit
The objective of our audit was to assess the Board’s and officials’ oversight of Village operations for the period August 1, 2014 through April 6, 2016.
The Village of Monticello is located in the Town of Thompson in Sullivan County. The Village, which has a population of approximately 6,500, is governed by an elected five-member Board of Trustees. The annual budget for the 2015-16 fiscal year was approximately $12.2 million.
- Claims are not properly audited and bank reconciliations are not completed accurately and in a timely manner.
- The Board has not established any policies or procedures to establish an acceptable number of consecutive estimated readings before an actual water meter reading was done or address how water accounts should be billed for minimum usage.
- The Board did not have a succession plan in place during periods of unexpected vacancies or staff changes.
- Pay claims only after the Board has audited and approved them for payment and complete accurate bank reconciliations on a monthly basis.
- Develop policies or procedures for water meter readings including an acceptable number of estimated reads before other enforcement action is initiated.
- Develop an integrated approach to succession management to include continually assessing potential employee turnover; providing a formal, written succession plan as a framework for succession initiatives; and developing written policies and procedures to facilitate knowledge transfer.
Local Government and School Accountability Contact Information:
Phone: (518) 474-4037; Email: email@example.com
Address: Office of the State Comptroller, Division of Local Government and School Accountability
110 State Street, 12th Floor; Albany, NY 12236