Audits of Local Governments and School Districts
Village of North Collins – Cash Disbursements (2012M-12)
Released: April 20, 2012 -- [read complete report - pdf]
Purpose of Audit
The purpose of our audit was to examine the Village's internal controls over cash disbursements for the period June 1, 2010, to December 20, 2011.
The Village of North Collins is located in Erie County. The Village is governed by an elected Board of Trustees comprised of four Trustees and a Mayor. The Village's general fund appropriations for the 2011-12 fiscal year are approximately $746,000.
- The entire Board does not audit all claims prior to payment as required.
- Village officials do not prepare a salary schedule detailing salary amounts the Board approved for Village officials and employees.
- The Clerk-Treasurer is the only full-time employee responsible for the Village's financial activity, and she performs incompatible duties. The Board has not instituted compensating controls to provide sufficient oversight, or performed an annual audit of the Clerk-Treasurer's records.
- The Board does not receive monthly financial reports such as a Treasurer's report or a budget status report, and no one reviews the Clerk-Treasurer's bank reconciliations.
- Audit all claims presented for payment and ensure that only those claims approved for payment are documented in the minutes.
- Include in the budget a schedule of compensation for all Village officials and employees.
- Perform, or cause to be performed, an annual audit of the Treasurer's records and document the results of the audit in the minutes.
- Provide the Board a monthly budget status report and any other financial reports requested. Routinely monitor the Clerk-Treasurer's work by reviewing bank reconciliations and accounting records/reports to ensure that all cash disbursements are supported by appropriate documentation.
Local Government and School Accountability Contact Information:
Phone: (518) 474-4037; Email: email@example.com
Address: Office of the State Comptroller, Division of Local Government and School Accountability
110 State Street, 12th Floor; Albany, NY 12236